History of New Covenant United Church of Christ:
1806 – Williamsport becomes a borough.
1817 – Emmanuel Church of the German Evangelical and Lutheran Church established. It was the second oldest congregation in Williamsport.
1853 – Those favoring services in English left Emmanuel Church and formed St. Mark’s Lutheran Church on Market Street.
1860 – The American Civil War begins.
1863 – Those favoring services in German left Emmanuel Church and formed Immanuel German Lutheran Church. By 1884, this church was dedicated on the current site of New Covenant.
1864 – What was left of the original Emmanuel Church became the Reformed Immanuel Church.
1866 – Williamsport became a city.
1882 – The Reformed Immanuel Church split again. An English service faction became St. John’s Reformed and by 1884 was in a church on Packer and Ross Streets. The remaining members of the Reformed Immanuel Church, who favored German services, disbanded in 1896.
1976 – Immanuel German Lutheran Church and St. John’s Reformed merged and became New Covenant United Church of Christ.
1990 – A new sanctuary for New Covenant was built.
2007 – Journey House was opened.
For the history of our denomination, the United Church of Christ, please visit…